Do you have a pet? If so, then you know that they come with some inherent risks – like dealing with bad smells making your home stink. In this post, we will discuss how to prevent such unpleasant smells and also tips on how to get rid of pet odor in the house.
What causes pet smell in the house?
The most common reason for pet smell in the house is when your house animals go to the bathroom inside. Dog urine and cat pee are especially tough odors to get rid of from sofas and carpets, so deep cleaning such furniture (and of course potty training your furry friends) are essential.
But even if your pet is house-trained, they can still bring in dirt, and other things from outside that can cause odors. And, of course, if they have an accident or vomit inside, this will cause unwanted smells as well.
Animals also shed their fur, which can add to the problem, and others drool a ton of saliva which ends up on their toys as well as on the furniture and floor and when left uncleaned, makes your home stink.
If you are just planning to get a house animal, consider choosing a least smelly pet or if you have one (or more) already, study these tips that will surely help you keep your home clean and fresh even if you share it with a furry companion.
Tips to prevent pet odors
The best way of reducing pet smell in the house is to prevent it from happening in the first place. Here are some suggestions on how to do that:
Keep your pet well-groomed
This is especially important for dogs, as they love coming into contact with mud and other smelly things when outdoors that they bring inside. Regular baths and maintenance will help keep your pet clean and reduce the amount of dirt and hair around the house which eventually would start stinking.
Another hack that helped me keep my home a lot cleaner is a dirt trapper doormat that is specially designed to catch water, mud and dirt so that the majority of your dog’s mess stays in the mat and is not transferred inside the house.
- high-quality polyester microfiber door mat which is durable, super absorbent, and comfortable to walk on
- countless polyester fibers can effectively catch water and dirt off the bottom of shoes keeping indoor areas of your home or business clean, dry and safe, especially in the rainy, snowy, or muddy weather
- low-profile design and reinforced overlock edges tend to have a firmer brushing action and allow the door to open easily over it without jamming or curling
Clean up immediately
The easiest way to prevent pet odor is to clean up after your pet immediately. For example, if you have a dog, make sure to pick up its poop right away. If you have a cat, scoop its litter box regularly. The more quickly you remove waste from your home, the less chance of an odor developing.
Vacuum and clean regularly
Another way to keep pet odor at bay is to regularly vacuum and clean your home. This will help remove any dirt, dust, or hair that your pet may have brought into the house.
It’s also a good idea to wash your pet’s bedding frequently. If you do these things regularly, you can help prevent pet smells from taking over your home.
Keep your house ventilated
Keeping your house well ventilated is the simplest way of preventing odors from becoming trapped inside. Ensure you open windows when weather permits and use fans to circulate air for a fresh-smelling house.
Use an air purifier
Another great way to prevent pet odor is to invest in a quality air purifier. It helps remove pet dander and other airborne particles that could be causing odors. There are many different air purifiers on the market, so be sure to do your research before purchasing one.
- high-performace air purifier that can be equipped with a variety of filters alongside the Pre-Filter and High-Efficiency Activated Carbon Filter
- captures 99.97% of airborne particles 0.3 microns in size, such as dust, smoke, pollen, odor
- silent operation and award-winning sleek design with modern white finish to help your air purifier fit anywhere in your home/bedroom/room
I have good experience with the LEVOIT HEPA Air Purifier which has an activated carbon filter and can remove 99.97% of airborne particles such as pollen, dust, smoke and can be equipped with a special pet allergy filter too.
How to remove pet odor from the house?
If you already have a pet odor problem and your house smells like a wet dog or cat litter, don’t despair! There are some things you can do to take care of it.
Clean affected areas thoroughly
If you have an area of your house that is particularly affected by strong pet smells, clean it thoroughly. Removing though odors may require special odor neutralizing products and multiple cleanings especially if you are moving into a pre-owned home, but the fresh, clean smell you can enjoy afterward will be worth the efforts.
Give your pet a bath
Sometimes, all that is needed is to freshen up your pets is a good old-fashioned bath. This will help remove any dirt or oils that may be causing them to stink. Just be sure to use a gentle shampoo, so you don’t dry out your pet’s skin.
However, it can happen that the smell won’t be gone even if your furry friend is freshly bathed. If your dog still smells after a bath, environmental and medical factors need to be checked and you may need to visit your vet too.
Use air fresheners or candles
Home scenting products are a great way to make your house smell fresh again, just make sure to choose them wisely so they do not contain ingredients that may be harmful. Choose special air fresheners or pet odor eliminator candles that will neutralize unpleasant smells and gently scent your home at the same time.
- made with a tested and proven odor neutralizer and specially formulated, this candle effectively removes the unpleasant smells and unwanted odors leaving your home smelling clean and fresh
- fresh and rich aromas from Apple Cider to Vanilla Creme Brulee, over 20 scents are available
- eco-friendly and pet-safe: made using 100% natural soy wax with 100% cotton wick and containing no paraffin, dyes, phthalates, parabens and formaldehydes
Deodorize carpets and upholstery
If your pet spends a lot of time on your furniture or you have carpeting in your home, you want to deodorize them often. There are many commercial products available for this purpose, or you can make your own pet odor eliminator for carpets if you prefer natural solutions.
Mix baking soda with a few drops of pet-friendly essential oils such as lavender or chamomile. Sprinkle the powder on the carpet or safe generously, let it sit for a few hours and vacuum the area afterward. This mixture will help absorb odors and make your carpet smell fresh again.
Spray odor neutralizer
Another option for dealing with cat or dog smell in the house is using special odor eliminators that contain enzymes that break down odor molecules and like this neutralize smells. Just ensure you read the labels carefully and choose a pet-friendly product as some of them might be harmful to pets if used incorrectly.
- professional strength formula with natural enzymes that are activated on contact with odors and stains
- chlorine free and color safe, can be used around pets and children, no hazardous propellants, no residue left behind
- for use on carpets, floors, furniture, clothing, litter boxes, kennels, carriers, all pet living and sleeping areas, anywhere where stains and smells happen
Make your own natural cleaner
If you rather skip commercial, chemical-containing cleaning products, just open your cupboard and make your own pet odor eliminator home remedy. For instance, you can use white vinegar which is the most effective natural cleaner, disinfectant and odor eliminator.
Simply mix equal parts water and vinegar in a spray bottle and spritz the affected area. Let it sit for a few minutes, then wipe it clean with a damp cloth.
Get a dehumidifier
If you live in a humid climate, this is going to be your best bet. Pet odors thrive in humid climates, so using a dehumidifier will help immensely. Just make sure that you empty it frequently so that it doesn’t become a breeding ground for mold and mildew.
- ideal for any basements, office, home, bathroom, bedroom, kitchen, stockroom, living room, laundry room, cellars, crawlspace for space up to 2000 sq. Ft, able to remove up to 34 pints of moisture per day
- designed with modern look, it has 360-degree rotatable wheels and ergonomically lift up handles so you can move it around easily
- quiet operation, 24-hr timer and intelligent control with Auto Control-Simply adjust
Getting rid of pet odor can be a challenge. However, it doesn’t have to be. All you have to do is identify the source of the odor, then take the necessary steps to remove it. With a little time and effort, you can have a clean and fresh-smelling house in no time!
Inspired? Pin it!
"Disclosure: This article may contain affiliate links. If you decide to make a purchase, I'll make a small commission at no extra cost to you."